effendi, achmad
JEM17: Jurnal Ekonomi Manajemen

Published : 2 Documents
Articles

Found 2 Documents
Search

PENGARUH KUALITAS LAYANAN TERHADAPP KEPUASAN KONSUMEN DI JAGUAR FITNES SIDOARJO effendi, achmad; aji putra, gilang
JEM17: Jurnal Ekonomi Manajemen Vol 2, No 2 (2017)
Publisher : JEM17: Jurnal Ekonomi Manajemen

Show Abstract | Original Source | Check in Google Scholar | Full PDF (438.651 KB)

Abstract

ABSTRAKThe problem in this research is how big partially and simultaneously influence the quality of service to customer satisfaction at Jaguar Gym Sidoarjo, as well as service quality variables Which most dominant influence on customer satisfaction at Jaguar Gym Sidoarjo.Based on the research results, obtained regression equation as follows: Y = 3.025 + 0.138 + 0.197 X1 + 0.183 X2 + 0,142 X3 X5 + X4 + 0.175 E. Of the acquisition value equation of multiple linear regression model, there are five variables showed a positive coefficient value (tangible, reliability, responsiveness, assurance, empathy), it shows the influence of service quality that is strong enough to customer satisfaction. Keofisien of determination of 0.362, which means that 36.2% variable service quality affects customer satisfaction, while 63.8% are influenced by variables Llain not studied. Based on the results of the multiple correlation coefficient R of 0.602 mind, which means showing that the proportion of the relationship between all the variables of service quality jointly influence on consumer satisfaction and is very strong and positive at 60.2% and the remaining 39.8% influenced by variables investigated. Result research partial test (t test) indicates there is one variable that had no significant effect (tangible) and four other variables (reliability, responsiveness, assurance and empathy) significantly affects satisfaction konsumen.Hasil simultaneous test (F test ) shows that there is significant influence jointly between the variable quality of service (tangible, reliability, responsiveness, assurance, empathy) to customer satisfaction, this is evidenced by the significant value of 0.000. The survey results revealed that the largest beta value contained in the variable reliability of 0,197. So variable reliability has the most dominant influence on consumer satisfaction. Kata Kunci :  Tangible, reliability, reponsiveness, assurance, empathy.
PENGARUH PELATIHAN SELF-TALK TERHADAP KEPERCAYAAN DIRI ATLET LARI 100 METER EFFENDI, ACHMAD; JANNAH, MIFTAKHUL
Character: Jurnal Penelitian Psikologi. Vol 6, No 3 (2019)
Publisher : Character: Jurnal Penelitian Psikologi.

Show Abstract | Original Source | Check in Google Scholar

Abstract

Penelitian ini bertujuan untuk mengetahui pengaruh pelatihan self talk terhadap kepercayaan diri atlet lari 100 meter. Penelitian ini menggunakan metode penelitian eksperimen dengan pendekatan kuantitatif. Rancangan yang digunakan dalam penelitian ini adalah desain perlakuan one grup pre-test dan post-tes design dengan menggunakan angket sebagai alat pengumpul data. Subjek dalam penelitian ini berjumlah 6 atlet lari 100 meter yang tergabung dalam TC khusus. Data diperoleh dengan melakukan pretest dan posttest pada partisipan dengan menggunakan Instrumen skala kepercayaan diri. Analisis data yang digunakan pada penelitian ini adalah non parametrik Uji Wilcoxon. Hasil penelitian data menunjukkan ada pengaruh pelatihan self talk terhadap kepercayaan diri atlet lari 100 meter (nilai signifikansi sebesar 0,028 (p<0,05)).